Minnesota Paranormal Investigators
|It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which, more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome.
– William James
What do you do when you get a call for help? Do you grab your camera and go racing down the street? The answer is NO! One of the most important conversations you will have with the client is the first contact. This is when you will establish the nature of the events. Listen to the client, keep an open mind but at the same time, do not jump the gun and say it is a paranormal event.
There are many times that a client thinks they are having a paranormal event, but it turns out that there is something natural is going on. Never make promises that you can’t keep and never tell them something that will make them feel scared. Remember that we are here to help them and to reassure them that they are not crazy. Below is an example of what we try to establish on first contact:
- Determine over the phone if there could be a normal explanation for their concern.
- Try suggesting some non-paranormal events that could explain what’s going on and see how they respond.
- Ask them to give a general description of the occurrences.
- Ask where the occurrences have taken place.
- Ask when the current disturbances began.
- Ask when the most recent incident was.
- Ask what they want you to find. Are they curious about a haunting? Do they expect you to make the events stop?
- Try to determine if the person is mentally stable. (If this does happen or you feel uncomfortable with this person there is no shame in bowing our gracefully by suggesting they contact someone with more experience in dealing with their type of case.)
If afterward you feel that this does require an on-site investigation, then ask the client to keep a journal of the events – noting the times, dates, locations, what happens, the length of the event and any witnesses to the event. This will give you a very good clue on what type of paranormal events are happening, location of the events and time. Once this is done its now time to assemble your team.
© Minnesota Paranormal Investigators (MNPI) 1991-2016