Minnesota Paranormal Investigators Frequently Asked Questions
Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly.
– Arnold Edinborough
Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the Minnesota Paranormal Investigators question and answer page.
The following are questions that we have been asked in the past about the paranormal and hauntings. The answers on this site are answers that we have learned from past investigations, research, and experiences that we all have had. Some of the answers do not conform to the belief of religions. If you have a question that you would like to ask and would like it to be posted on our list just email us and we will answer your question to the best of our ability.
- How Can I Tell If My Home is Haunted?
- Do All Hauntings Happen at Night?
- What is the Difference Between a Ghost and a Spirit?
- Does a Ouija Board Really Work?
- Can a Ghost Follow a Person from One Location to Another?
- Can a Ghost be Removed from a Location?
- What is an Earthbound Spirit?
There are several ways to determined if your home is haunted. Not all of these will apply to every haunting but if you can answer ‘yes’ to at least three then there is a good chance that there might be something there.
- Having the feeling of uneasiness or unusual feelings in a particular place. (example, do you sense a “presence” or get “cold chills” under certain conditions in certain locations).
- Unexplained sounds and smells in certain locations.
- Seeing an apparition i.e. ghost.
- Unusual images on a photograph.
- Objects moving around on their own.
- Children talking about a special unseen person.
- Pets acting unusual in certain locations, for example a dog is barking while looking at a certain corner or room in the house.
The answer to this is no. Time travels at a different rate on the other side. They have very little concept whether it is either day or night. The reason why we see more ghost activity at night is that during the day, we are so caught up in our daily lives and we don’t noticed that the ghost is there. When it is dark, we begin to wind down and our minds begin to open up. That’s when we start becoming aware of ghostly activities.
A ghost or an earth bound sprit is a soul that has surviving emotional memories of people who have not been able to complete the transition from their physical state into the world of the spirit. They are unable to see beyond their own immediate environment or problem, and are forced to continually relive those moments in their lives until someone explains things to them.
A sprit is a soul that has crossed over to the other side and returns to the earthly plane to help either a family member or help a ghost to cross over. This type of sprit normally will not haunt a location unless it feels that it might need to do so.
Yes, but we do not in any way recommend using them. We strongly caution anyone who chooses to use one to please protect yourself. A few members of the group have used them in the past but none of us use them now nor do we have the desire to.
The main problem with Ouija boards is that people go into using them as a game thinking, “how can something mass-produced by Parker Brothers really conjure up a spirit or cause harm?” There are two theories on how Ouija or more appropriately Talking Boards work, the process involves a living person allowing an entity to:
- use part of their body (their hands) to move the planchette
- mingle their energies in order to move the planchette.
Through the use of the board a person or group has extended an invitation to an Entity to enter their life and/or body. If you don’t use precautions when using Ouija boards or holding séances, you may very well invite something into your life that will be very reluctant to leave. All it needs is that initial invitation and it will accept it, you could use a piece of paper and a coin for all it cares.
Since the majority of people using these boards are not psychically aware, they trust that Entity when it states it is or behaves in friendly or benign manner. After all, when using a Ouija board or holding séance, you are inviting an entity to enter your body and/or your life to give you the answer to your questions. The invitation you extended is all it cares about and needs. It can appear to be very helpful at first (telling you were lost items are, or relaying messages from deceased loved ones), thus making you want to contact it more and more, increasing the attraction – and attachment – between you.
Since most people who use Ouija boards are not psychically aware, they will believe the Entity when it says it’s friendly. However it may not actually be. Someone who is psychically aware would be able to determine it’s truer nature. This is way Ouija’s are usually the tools of the “lay person” and not trained psychics.
Ghosts and other entities are known to lie — a lot. They may try to impersonate a deceased relative or tell you that your relative is with them. The deeper you allow yourself to get into the game, the easier it is for the entity to start to manipulate you, and the less control you have over your life. We have personally experienced many events and heard several stories where Ouija boards have affected people’s lives.
On the flip side, we have also spoken to several people who have used a Ouija board and never had anything happen to them. Though we have more often than not, heard stories of people have had negative experiences with them.
If you are going to use one please take the following precautions:
- Never, never use one alone. In fact, have at least two people using the board and one person off to the side to record what happens. (Reagan from the The Exorcist used one alone in the basement and look what happened to her!! That movie was based on a true story that happened to a young boy.)
- Protect yourself before you begin. (Say a prayer for protection, picture yourself in a bubble or surrounded by a white light that nothing can enter in, have the Bible or anything that you have faith in nearby or on your body and last but not least… always, always say good-bye to the entity and tell it that it is not to follow you and it is not welcome in your life and wait for it to tell you good-bye.)
- If you start to feel like you are dealing with a “bad spirit”, immediately say good-bye, wait for the entity to say good-bye and end the session.
Generally, human spirits do not “follow” people from one place to another. They usually tend to be drawn to a certain location but they can be drawn to an object or person, therefore “following” it.
- If the spirit is drawn to a place, it is usually because they built the building, they lived there, it was a place that brings joy to the spirit or it is the place the spirit crossed over when it died.
- If the spirit is drawn to an object, it is because the object was very special to them. It could be anything from a piece of jewelry to a chair they always sat in to a sewing machine they always used.
- If the spirit is drawn to a person, it is usually because it is a relative or a very close friend. If a person is If the spirit is drawn to a person, it is usually because it is a relative or a very close friend. If a person is “sensitive” or “psychic” a spirit can follow them if they do not protect themselves and tell the spirit that is not welcome to follow them. Spirits are going to be drawn to someone who senses them.
The answer to this question is yes, but removing a ghost from a location is not that easy to do. Unless you are a person who has detailed knowledge of spirit removal I would not do this without help.
There are several ways to remove a ghost from a location. The most common way is to have someone with a psi ability to come in, make contact with the ghost and help them to cross over to the other side, with the help of the deceased love ones and with the help of the spirit guides. This person then should sage the location with either a smudge stick or burning sage. Smudging is a ritual way to cleanse a person, place or an object of negative energies, spirits or influences. The smudging ceremony involves the burning of special, sacred plants and herbal resins, then, either passing an object through the resulting smoke, or fanning the smoke around a person or place. The spirit of the plant then purifies whatever is being smudged.
There are two ways of doing a smudging ceremony. The simplest way to smudge is to use a smudge stick. A smudge stick is a wand made of some type of grass. Another method of removing a ghost that is also use in conjunction with the the leaves of a plant or mixture of plants tied together and dried. To use, simply light the end of the wand and extinguish the flame once it has a smoldering end.
To cleanse a room or house, carry in the lit smudge stick, clockwise around the area, making sure to smudge in the corners and behind doors. The second way of smudging is to use self-igniting or incense charcoal as a source of heat. Light the charcoal and place it in a heat proof container. Sprinkle about a half a teaspoon of smudging herb on the charcoal and fan the smoke toward the object being smudged as above. Remember that when you smudge, you are asking the spirit for assistance and you must pay proper respect to their healing power.
These are some of the plants that can be used for smudging along with their spiritual properties.
- Desert Sage (Artemesia tridentata) – This plant is erroroneously belived to drive out negative energies, spirits and influences. In fact it will “balance” the energies, harmonizing the environments and should be used after a banishing herb. Use this as a smudge to purify people and places before any sacred ceremony.
- White Sage (Salvia apiana) – This sage is used just like desert sage, but many people prefer White Sage because of the sweeter aroma it gives off.
- Cedar (Libocedrus descurrens, Thuja occidentalis). This plant can also be used to purify, especially for negative emotions.
- Sweetgrass (Hierochole odarata) This is one of the most sacred herbs used for smudging. This herb is used to bring positive energy in after negative energies are banished by using sage.
- Lavender (Lavandula officianalis) – This herb will restore balance and create a peaceful atmosphere. It will also draws loving energy and spirits.
- Mugwort (Atemesia vulgarus) – This herb can used to stimulate psychic awareness and prophetic dreams. The Lakota also believe that when Mugwort is burned it “makes the bad spirits sick” and they move away from it.
- Copal (Bereseru microphylla) – This resin was used by the Mayans as a food for the Gods. They believe that as the smoke of the Copal would rise, it would carry their prayers to the ears of the Gods. Copal is used in divination and in purification ceremonies. It is the Frankincense of the Western Hemisphere.
- Juniper (Juniperus ssp.) – This herb is also used to purify and to create a safe and sacred space. Juniper was often carried in a medicine pouch or a pocket for protection.
- Yerba Santa (Eriodictyon californicus) – This herb can be used to purify and to set and protect boundaries. The name of this plant reflects it’s nature. Yerba Santa means sacred herb.
- Osha (Ligusticum porteri) – The root of this plant can be burned as an incense or carried for good luck and protection from bad influences. Osha is also a preferred gift for Native American elders.
It is the spirit of a human that has not properly crossed over to the other side. These are the most commonly seen spirits on earth.
There are several reasons why a spirit may be Earthbound. Most of the time, spirits will stay close to the place where they died, especially if it was a sudden passing such as a murder, suicide or major accident. They may not even realize they are dead. Another reason why they stay around is to give a message such as who killed them or where they put something very important or saying “I love you and good-bye.” Yet another reason they stick around is that they are afraid to leave this earth of they feel guilt about bringing about their own death. Another reason they stay here is because someone living refuses to let them go, they simply cannot come to terms with the loss so the deceased stays around to comfort them.
© Minnesota Paranormal Investigators (MNPI) 1991-2016